ROYAL TERRACE

Royal Terrace

WHERE

work Royal Terrace, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 1DY

TELEPHONE

work01702 215620

The earliest concerted attempt to develop Southend as a seaside resort is seen in Royal Terrace.

1-15 Royal Terrace and the Royal Hotel were built in the 1790s as the first phase of the 'New Town'. New South End was designed as a fashionable seaside resort to rival Margate, Brighton and Weymouth. A grand ball marked the opening of the Royal Hotel in 1793. The Shrubbery fronting the houses was laid out as a private garden for residents and Royal Mews to the rear were their stables.

The Terrace was named "Royal" following visits by Princess Caroline, wife of the Prince Regent, in 1803 and for a short time attracted fashionable society. But difficult access from London by road and river discouraged further development until the construction of the railway in 1856. Royal Terrace is the only surviving Georgian terrace in Southend.

OPENING TIMES

  • Please call for opening times