THE PALACE HOTEL

The Palace Hotel

WHERE

work Church Road, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 2AL

TELEPHONE

work01702 455100

Originally named the Metropole, the Palace Hotel was built in 1901. It was one of the last great Edwardian Hotels, and at the time the only 5* hotel on the southeast coast.

It had 200 bedrooms, a billiard room and a magnificent ballroom. During the First World War it was temporarily converted into Queen Mary's Royal Naval Hospital and treated over 4,000 soldiers.

As they recovered from their injuries, the soldiers would gather on the balconies of the hotel to look out over the pier and seafront. They became something of an attraction, with dozens of people gathering underneath to pass tobacco, sweets, flowers and even buttons up to the soldiers.

During the 1950s & 1960s the Palace fell behind with the times and eventually came into financial difficulties. It was then bought by Polish refugee Motel Burstin who turned the building into an old people’s home. In the early 1970s the Palace provided cut price bed and breakfast but by now the building was beginning to fall into disrepair.

In 2007 is was purchased by the Radisson group and the Park Inn Palace Hotel remains one of Southend's most prized hotels. 

OPENING TIMES

  • Please call for opening times